Thursday, January 22, 2009

Help, I don't feel like reading my Bible.......

Have you gotten to the point where you feel like you've lost your fire?


Do you sometimes feel like you've lost your passion.....or that your salvation is on "cruise control"........


Do you no longer feel like reading the bible?


I've been there, and I like to think I am not alone........Either we get too busy, life throws us a curve ball, and the challenges we face cause us to lose our faith, feel like God has let us down, or perhaps, we feel like we know the word, we've read the bible over and over again.....or maybe we're just bored coz it doesn't make sense to us, or it isn't relevant......Or maybe certain parts of scripture have discouraged us from reading the word more.......


Personally, I went through a phase where I felt I knew what the bible said, coz I had read it over and over.........Also, I found that when I stopped going to church on Sundays, I lost the passion for Christ that I once had.......also, being caught up in the worldy ways robbed me of my thirst for God........However, I am here to tell you that there's hope.......Here's what I did:


1). I cried unto God and asked Him to restore the fire for His word in my heart......The word tells us in Luke 11:9 "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek and ye will find; knock and it shall be opened unto you" When I did, the Lord began to put a thirst for the Word again, and I began to want to know what God's word says........


2). Start with simple scripture, and as your apetite grows, get into deeper word........For me, I knew that if I started only with the Old Testament, or say Leviticus, I would soon get bored......So I had various scriptures I was reading......places where I could easily see God working.....For me I picked on David's life......so I was reading a chapter from I Samuel, then a chapter in Psalms, a chapter in Luke, and a chapter from one of Paul's letters.......I started with just one chapter, but before I knew it, I began to want to read many chapters at a go.........Just as with a baby, it has to suckle and eat soft foods, before it can tackle solid meals......But before I knew it, I was on my way tackling large chunks of God's word at a go, and the Holy Spirit began to cause me to want to know God's word more.........But even as I say that, remember that all Scripture is inspired by God....II Timothy 3:16 tells us that "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction and for instruction in righteousness".......even 'em Leviticus...


3). Read with purpose and with an expectant heart.........When you read God's word, study it, memorize it, if you don't understand it, read it again, revise, ask God what He means by what you have just read.......Remember how you used to read hard for exams.......that's the same way you should read God's word........be an active reader.........Here are some tips:

a). Ask What.............What does that mean?
b). Ask Where...........Mmh, where else have I seen that before......Where else has Paul, or Jesus said that?
c). Ask Why................Why did God say that to him, Why then, Why didn't God do this or that?
d). Ask How.................How did that come about........
e). Ask Who..................Who did that, who saw that...............
f). Ask Which................Which people was God referring to..................

I think you get the point........when you start asking those questions, don't rest till you have answers........what this does is that it helps you understand and remember God's word better......and you will be better poised to stand when temptation comes!

Also, read God's word anticipating that God will speak unto you from that Word.....I believe that which we read, the Holy Spirit helps us committ to memory, and to recall it when we need to impart change into our lives........Study to learn about God from His word.......Don't wait for others to do it for you, read it and learn about God for yourself, and build a solid relationship with Him from His word............there are also a lot of warnings and things that God wants us to know, and only by reading and remembering them, do they stick longer in our spirits......Do you know that everything you need, or will ever need from God is wrapped up in His word?

For instance, II Timothy 1:15 "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth".........Now, I ask you.....how can you divide the word that you don't know......so first read the word, remember it, practise it, and before you know it, you will become that "workman"......and this is good for me too to know......that I need to know God's word, so that I can rightly divide it!

Also, God's word gives us a reason to praise God.....it reminds us what God has done for us "he healed our diseases and took away our infirmities" so read it, and watch your faith grow!


Here's something to encourage you from God's word, for those who feel like they've blown it with God and there's no salvation...... Hebrews 4:14-16


"14. Seeing that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the son of God, let us hold fast our profession
15. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities, but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin
16. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of Grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need"


See, so you need not feel condemned, or unworthy......come boldly to the throne of grace and speak with God directly.......


Here's another scripture to encourage you: Hebrews 4:12


"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart"


After the Lord restored my joy for His word, I continues to cut me, removing the folly, wickedness and other iniquity in my heart, pierces me, and challenges me to walk more rightly before God.........


4). Make time for God's word to sit into your heart
Whether at night, or in the mornings, spend some time reading God's word, removing other distractions from you.....for me, I like doing it at night just before I sleep! Why? Coz then I have the opportunity to read His word without distractions, and as I wait to fall asleep, I can pray, and meditate some more on His word.......Also, I find that I wake up more in my sleep, and because I have just read God's word, as I wait for my sleep to come back, I end up talking to God through the night, which definitely doth benefit my soul.

5). Share the word that you have learnt with someone else
If you think this sounds like the 4Rs that we learnt (Read Recall Revise Recite), then you are right! Share God's word with someone else, a friend, colleague, spouse, your boss, etc....As you do, it will reinforce that which you have read, and it will also help get your faith back on track......Start a blog and share what God's been teaching you, for instance...........

The key is to not let the Word of the Lord depart from your heart, so guard it, share it, memorise it, recite it, and walk in it! As the Psalmist says in Psalms 119.11 "Thy word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against thee".....Hide God's word deep in your spirit, and feed on it all the days of your life!

6). When you hear God's word, take that as an opportunity for you to dig for more!
Many of you go to church, and when you hear a sermon being preached, be an active listener.....Follow the preacher as he teaches, read along in your bible, ask the Holy Spirit to give you guidance......begin to follow along with other scriptures that have similar meaning.........cultivate the spirit of hunting for God's word, and before you know it, you'll burn so brightly with God's love, you won't even be able to stand it...........

My personal goal is to grow to a point where when someone shares somethign with me, I can look at them, understand what they are going through, and know enough of God's word, to encourage them, inspire them and to help them seek God in their own lives.......I pray that I may delight in God's word all the days of my life, that the word of truth governs my life, that I may be an effective witness!

Well, this seems like a good place to end. Again, this is what works for me, and I know others have their own recipes and things that work....Please share them with us! I know listening to audio bibles is also remarkably beneficial too, so go ahead.....as long as you are learning the word.........

No comments:

Post a Comment